Stress…The mere mention of the word makes my muscles tighten. We’ve all felt stressed out at some point. It’s unavoidable…it’s natural…and it’s not all bad.
Stress just refers to our body’s natural reaction to outside stimuli. In fact, it causes our bodies to release important hormones like adrenaline and cortisol.
It becomes a problem when it’s chronic, or continuous, and overwhelming. Chronic stress suppresses your immune system and causes symptoms like:
- fatigue and insomnia
- high blood pressure
- memory loss
So what can you do to stay healthy even in stressful times?
- Eat more fresh fruits and vegetables to strengthen your immune system
- Get regular exercise – make use of that extra adrenaline
- Learn to relax – whether it’s deep breathing, taking a hot bath, or listening to music – find a healthy outlet that works for you. I turn up the music and dance!
- Get a good night’s sleep. Put the phone on do not disturb…turn the TV off…let yourself unplug from the day. The smell of lavender is incredibly calming and a great addition to your bedtime routine.
- Let it out! Talk to a good friend, let yourself cry, scream into the waves, go to the gym and take it out on the punching bag…whatever makes you feel lighter.
- Do your best. None of us is perfect – that’s what makes us so interesting! So forgive yourself for any mistakes you made today and do your best tomorrow.